Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Eat your vegetables

Today's Weigh-In: 213.8 lbs. (new low!)
5-Day Average: 215.15 lbs.

The weight loss train just keeps on a-chuggin'. This no alcohol thing seems to be working pretty well. My food consumption has been good but not 100% clean. My mom bought me a box of Reese's peanut butter cups (the small ones) for Valentine's day, and I've had a few, but I'm being very moderate about it. In the past I would have polished it off in an afternoon. I put them in the freezer so they're out of sight (and frozen candy tastes good). Other than that my eating has been great. I'm starting to get the hang of the Zone, and once you do it becomes a lot easier. I've also started using more favorable carbs (raw vegetables, fruits) as opposed to unfavorable ones (bread, crackers, tortillas, etc.) and it changes the amount of food you eat by a *ton*. I eat 4-block meals, so I can either have 4 small corn tortillas as my carbs, or a head of lettuce, a cucumber, an orange, and some broccoli. So instead of being hungry, you're totally stuffed at each meal. Now I just gotta stock up on veggies since we're running low.

My workouts are still awesome, and I'm getting stronger every day. I deadlifted 305 pound yesterday. I can now do 10 pullups unassisted (not 100% strict but I get my chin over the bar), and I can do dips now as well (was never able to do them in the past). CrossFit is definitely an awesome way to get in shape.

Edit: You know what I just realized? I haven't had heartburn in months now. I used to have to take Pepcid or Tums every single day, often multiple times a day. Now I don't get heartburn, ever. Also, my legs don't hurt any more, like they used to all the time. I checked my blood pressure the other day, and I am completely out of Stage-1 Hypertension. My score was 129/85 if I recall correctly, and this was after I drank an energy drink full of caffeine and climbed some stairs. 6 months ago it was 145/95 on a consistent basis (I would take my measurements right after I woke up). I still have a ways to go to get completely out of the danger zone (need to be under 120/80) but there's definitely progress being made here. These aren't things I normally think of, but they popped into my head and I wanted to share.

4 comments:

Jay said...

wow man, it's really nice to see you continuing to make progress! Keep up the good work!

Rob Tucker said...

You're doing awesome. As for the heartburn thing, that's pretty damned cool. I had that same realization a few months into mine.

Just goes to show that there are SO many benefits that we take for granted throughout the process. Keep on going now!

Ripx180 said...

10 pullups!! wow thats crazy good. nice on the lower bp too. Those are real world numbers saying your doing your body good. Keep it going man.

Brian said...

those are some awesome benefits. i had the same thing with the heartburn. used to have it all the time, not anymore.