Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Total

Today's Weigh-In: 218.2 lbs.
5-Day Average: 218.15 lbs.

My weight is staying pretty stable between 217 and 218. While this is discouraging, looking at my average I'm down a pound and a half from a week ago, so I guess it's moving in the right direction. I've been eating extremely well, always within my 2200 calories, and I've been exercising pretty hard, so all I can do is see what happens.

Yesterday's workout was the CrossFit Total, which consists of 3 lifts: Deadlift, Shoulder press, and Back Squat. You get 3 attempts to get a one-rep max on each lift (after a warm up, of course). Then you add the weights together and get your total score. It was designed by Mark Rippetoe and Coach Glassman as a decent gauge of absolute strength.

Back Squat: 230
Shoulder Press: 145
Deadlift: 295
Total: 670

So roughly 3x bodyweight. Not all that great, to be honest, but it's a baseline. Now I know what I need to work on, and what I should be shooting for next time. I also will be able to see how much I improve my strength empirically, which is awesome. That's one of the things I love about CrossFit, you can see your scores from previous workouts, and see how much you improve each time, so you know for a fact that you're getting stronger/faster/more powerful, and you're not wasting your time in the gym. Good stuff.

No comments: