Sunday, January 6, 2008

Hooray for CrossFit

Today's Weigh-In: 219.0 lbs.
5-Day Average: 218.33 lbs.

Well, I did my first CrossFit workout yesterday. It was awesome. I talked to Steve, who runs my local CrossFit affiliate, and he told me to come down at 9:45 for a beginner's session they run every Saturday. I brought my mom and my brother, and Steve showed us all the basic movements and correct forms, had us do a warmup, and then gave us a full workout. It was Run 400 meters, do 15 box steps on a plyometric box, then do 15 thrusters (basically a squat plus a shoulder press) with dumbbells. Then do another 2 sets, only lowering the reps from 15 to 12 and 9 for the 2nd and 3rd sets, respectively. And it was for time. I did it in 13:45, while my brother did it in 9:45 and my mom did it in 11 something minutes. My whole body is sore today. It was intense. At the end my heart rate was over 190, but I felt great. Everybody there was super cool and welcoming to us, and I'm definitely going to start going there on a regular basis, starting this week. I think it will be a much better program for me than the standard weight training + cardio routine I've been doing. I need the push that I get from working out with others, and competing with myself. And it's not boring like the gym. I absolutely *hate* doing cardio in the gym. I just need to watch my diet and I know I'll see the pounds dropping like never before.

My brother, who has been really encouraging to me, is leaving today to go back to Sacramento for school (UC Davis). So that sucks, because he's helped push me, but it's cool too because when he comes back for Spring break I should be 15+ pounds lighter, so I can show off :)

Hope everyone has a great week!

No comments: