Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Progress and Frustration

Today's Weigh-In: 203.2 lbs. (new low!)
5-Day Average: 204.88 lbs.

Hey everybody. I'm still alive, and my weight is still headed down. Haven't had any booze or beers for close to a week now, and I actually feel much better: less anxious, more awake, stronger in the gym. My back is still feeling good, even after heavy deadlifts yesterday, so I think I'm in the clear on that. My strength training workouts are great, and I'm really enjoying them. I'm up to 200 lbs. for 5x5 on squats, 200 lbs. 5x5 on bench, 125 lbs. 5x5 on shoulder press, and 1x5 @ 260 lbs. on deadlift. One of the personal trainers at the gym yesterday came up to me and warned me that I shouldn't bring my shoulder press all the way back down to my chest; he's an idiot. In fact, everyone at Bally Total Fitness is an idiot. None of the PTs there have any clue what they're talking about, nor how to actually get in shape. Heck, only about 2 of them even look like they're in shape themselves. Their game is all about machines, reduced range of motion, and stringing customers along without getting results. That's why I love Crossfit so much, everyone there is knowledgeable and has training from real experts. Unfortunately, if I want to do strength training in addition to CF, I'm stuck at Bally for now, so I'll just attempt to avoid anyone with their opinions about my program from now on, or just tell them where to stick their advice. This dude had some more inane nuggets of "wisdom" he tried to share but I made it fairly obvious his advice was not welcome.

Now that I've got that off my chest, back to the topic at hand. I feel good and healthy, so I'm hoping I can get all 5 workouts that I have planned for this week in safely without killing myself. I'm going to start a cycle of creatine when I get it in the mail, mainly to reduce my recovery time and allow me to do a bit more work in the gym.

Many members of the FAT coalition have been kinda quiet lately; fire up them keyboards and let us know how you're doing, even if it's crappy. That's what we're here for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The trainer thing is funny. At first, I was like "Wow, a personal trainer said that?" Then you said they were from Bally's and it all made sense. :)

You're doing great, man. Impressive numbers. Keep it up!