Thursday, August 28, 2008

In need of inspiration

Today's Weigh-In: 201.2 lbs.
5-Day Average: 199.45 lbs.

My weigh-in is what I get for eating Chinese food last night. I didn't go over on calories for the day, though, so I'm not really sure what the deal is. My eating was fine on Monday and Tuesday, totally clean. I haven't worked out since I've been back, though. My work schedule has been erratic, and to be honest I've just been lazy. I miss the soreness in my muscles, though, and I'm itching to get back into a serious routine.

I've noticed that I've lost a lot of the fire that I used to have with regards to weight loss. I used to obsess over it, I would get in fights with my girlfriend about it, I would read fitness websites constantly. I still read a lot, but I just don't have that burning passion in my belly any more. Which sucks, because I'm not there yet. I'm the guy that Billy described in his last post: satisfied enough, but not happy with where I am. I think my problem is a bit different from most others in that I wasn't ridiculously fat to begin with, so the relatively minor loss of 30+ pounds looks and feels like a lot more than it really is. I now look like a bigger, normal guy. And, at 17% body fat, with normal numbers on all gauges of health, I am a healthy, normal guy. But who wants to be normal? I want to be the stronger, leaner, faster, and more capable than everybody else. I know I have to work for it though, and that's where it gets sticky. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it, but I know I have to do something. I don't want to burn out and fade away.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

I read Billy's post and found it insightful. I view the whole thing as need vs. want.

It's all well and good to want to be thin, fit, healthy but that's not enough. If you only want those things than it's all the easier to sell yourself short. Because let's face it, it takes effort to achieve and maintain and it's easier to say half way through "I don't want this that badly". In fact a lot of people with this mindset take the easiest road of all -never starting.

Now if this is a need then everything changes. The need stays constant, it's not a variable. Because of that you can measure everything a little more realistically. I want a cheat meal but do I really need it. No, I need to eat healthy. I want to sit around and watch TV but do I really need to? No, I need to workout.

What seperates just wanting weight loss and healthy living from needing it? I just read the article 'Pheonix Theory' posted on Billy's blog. It does a great job of illustrating what seperates the two.

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded.

Anonymous said...

It's weird how that soreness can be a good thing. Like a comfortable old friend.

I've gotten back in the routine of being at the gym regularly this week (after being awol for a month and a few days), and daaaaaang I am beat!

Squats, of course, leave their mark on you and your quads, but I'm adding power cleans into the mix for this next rotation, and they are doing a number on my traps, shoulders, and biceps just as much as my legs.

It's good to be sore again!