Friday, May 31, 2013

Prep work

In order to achieve my goals this coming month, I've taken the time this morning to come up with all the food I plan to eat next week, along with a shopping list and required prep work. I realized I've not been eating nearly enough vegetables lately, and I think my health and waistline are worse off for it. Here's what I have for the first week of June:

Shrimp ceviche (shrimp, onion, cucumber, cilantro, tomato, lime juice)
Cobb Salad with vinaigrette and chicken
Tuna salad (oil-packed tuna, greens, avocados, olives, red onion, cucumber)
Tacos (using lettuce wraps)

Breakfast scramble (eggs, onion, chorizo, sweet potato)

All I have to do is go shopping, buy everything I need, do some fairly simple prep work (chop up veggies, boil eggs, poach chicken breasts), and put everything into containers. Tons of veggies and protein (I'll be adding 50g whey post-workout as well), low calories, and all Paleo-compliant. I'm keeping the bulk of the carbs in the breakfast meal (with the sweet potato), since I workout in the morning so that will be the best time for that. This is pretty low-carb, so I am aware that I might need to adjust my carb intake to support athletic performance, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there (plus I figure I can just throw a half-cup of rice in with dinner to cover it). This doesn't really include dinner stuff, but I'll most likely stick with meat (either steak or salmon) and some veggies (I'm really digging asparagus lately, and broccolini is in season too).

I've gotten fairly good at prepping food for the week over these past few years, but lately I've been stuck in a rut of making chili or stew, and I'm really sick of eating both of these. So I had to put in a little bit of effort and came up with what you see here. The whole thing took me about half an hour, and all the prep work will probably take about two hours on Sunday afternoon, but that sets me up for a whole week of eating right and staying compliant.

No comments: